Wednesday, 30 August 2017

Saturday, 26 August 2017

Got the roller wheels mounted up today.

Roller wheels sitting in the middle of the track.


Lots of clearance.

I have uploaded a video of the lower roller wheels.
Today I made some axles for the lower roller wheels.

1 of the 10 axles for the prototype track drive.

Worked out the final size of the roller wheels.
This will be made from urethane with a brass bushing molded into it. 

10 axles made and tightly fitted into 1 plate.

All together and ready to fit the spacers, wheels, washers and bolts.
 

Saturday, 19 August 2017

Spent a little bit of time working out the lower roller wheels.

Plates for the lower roller wheels.

Working out the width of the plates and wheels. Bolts are only temporary.

Bolts will be replaced with axles.
Test version of the eye detail stickers.
Final version will be laminated on high tack vinyl.

Test fit of one of the stickers. Perfect fit.

3mm thick clear acrylic cut to size for making the eye lens.

Plates finished for the lens making.

I have started on building the prototype version of the track lower rollers.

Monday, 14 August 2017

I have drawn up the inner eye details for Wall-E tonight. Drawn up in vector so they can be scaled to any size without loosing quality. I will be printing them on a high tack signage vinyl that will also be cut to size on the printer to fit onto the plastic part in the eye.

Saturday, 12 August 2017

I got the clear acrylic for the lenses. Just need to cut the sheet down to squares to fit into the 2 plates.
I got the clear acrylic for the lenses. Just need to cut the sheet down to squares to fit into the 2 plates.
I got the clear acrylic for the lenses yesterday that I need to cut the
sheet down to squares to fit into the 2 plates.

Photos of the plates for making the clear lenses for the eyes.


The step is to set the reducer into when I'm vacuum forming the lens.

T nuts installed on back plate. Need to get some bolts for them.
Last two nights I have been working on the motor drive sprockets.

I had to make an adapter for the centre of the sprocket so I could centre
 the hole saw in the sprocket for drilling the hole for the hub.

 I then drilled a hole in a board to put the adapter into.

Now I can put the sprockets on and have a centre hole for the drilling.

28mm tungsten carbide tipped 28mm Hole Saw.

Drilled the mounting holes to hold the sprocket onto the hub.

Drilled the centre hole for the hub.

Fit perfect.



Both drive sprockets fitted.



I also made the plates for holding the clear acrylic for when I make
the lenses for the eyes. I will have photos of this tomorrow.

Friday, 4 August 2017

Got the last drive sprocket done today.

De-burring the holes.

All the drive sprockets done.

Nice bits of steel from the drive sprockets. Will come in handy for something.

  All the metal from all the drilling on the sprockets.

  Lightened 788g. It was 1.778kg.
That's a total of 3.512kg lighter for the 4 sprockets.

Looking good.

Fit perfect. Will be welded in the groove.

Looks a lot better and lighter.

I have uploaded a video of the de-burring of the holes.

Thursday, 3 August 2017

Finished 1 drive sprocket last night and another one tonight.
Very slow drilling 6x 40mm holes in 12mm steel.

Got my hubs and bearing housings from Autolathing Engineering Ltd.

Bearing housings.

Idle sprocket hubs.


Front sprocket hubs.


Drive sprocket hubs.


Fit perfect. Will be welded in the groove.